[Haskell-beginners] Easier alternatives to existential types?

Emile Melnicov erm.dot.at at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 21:37:57 EST 2009

Hello everyone.

I'm trying to write RIFF parser and can't decide what to do with
"container" type. "Container" chunk should hold a header (two
Word32's), a "type" (Word32 like "WAVE" etc) and a "list" of other chunks.
Of course lists can't be used because we have far more than one chunk
types. What can I do with this?

I discovered existentials for myself recently, but those could be too hard
for me yet. It feels like I'm missing something very obvious here.

Thanks for attention.