[Haskell-beginners] Type classes and synonyms

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Sat Nov 21 23:18:22 EST 2009

Sorry to take offense :-) maybe I was being too modest?

What leads me to conclude that is... Reading several papers about uses
of Arrows and Applicative and Monads for parsing and FRP, being on the
mailing-lists for a few years listening to debates and people struggling
with bits of code, getting a sense of the history of each abstraction
and of how people who use that abstraction daily relate to it.  (let's
see if I can name names... Ross Paterson, Conor McBride, maybe Simon
Peyton-Jones..).  Experimenting a bit with my own code.  Having a vague
sense, through coding Haskell quite a bit, how much it's possible to
condense a piece of code.  It is not a conclusion of compulsion, just
that I haven't seen it done better.  It seems Arrows are a necessary
abstraction for a couple very particular world-views/paradigms, and
don't fit very well with a lot of other stuff.

So far, I haven't used FRP for anything major, and I've done most
parsing with Parsec (monad-based) and Happy (hmm, it's a preprocessor).
  Since I don't have lots of experience with the examples, I didn't want
to claim to understand the abstraction(class) very well. :-)

-Isaac