[Haskell-beginners] Re: Selecting a GUI toolkit

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Fri May 1 05:26:44 EDT 2009

Heinrich Apfelmus wrote:
> The first difference is the spacing. In the wxHaskell version, the
> enclosing tab is glued to the window border left and right, while there
> is a considerable margin in the native version. The inner boxes have
> spacious margins, too.
>
> The second is the capitalization in the native version. That gives it a
> totally different look! I even thought that they were using different
> fonts at first.

I didn't notice any of these except for the tab margin until you pointed
it out. The tab margin left and right is the only thing I noticed.
Taking a second look, I also notice the margin *below* the tab box.

> Thirdly, the textlogs have different fonts. Again, the wxHaskell one
> looks non-standard.

Honestly, I can't tell. They are both very similar, sans fonts. Also,
the font could  be explained by the fact that these screen shots are
taken on different computers (different OS versions, different settings).

I just went to the wxWidgets website. On that site, the Mac OS screen
shots show the buttons capitalized. In any case, I think these
differences are minor. More importantly, I'm not sure that a different
cross-platform toolkit would do a better job.

Daniel.