[Haskell-beginners] Re: Selecting a GUI toolkit

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Fri May 1 04:07:37 EDT 2009

Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Thomas Davie wrote:
>>> http://wxhaskell.sourceforge.net/images/controls-macosx2.png
>>
>> My link was on leopard actually, but that still looks significantly
>> different to the natively designed UI.
>
> Significantly different? They are practically identical.

IMHO, they are quite different, and it shows. :)

The first difference is the spacing. In the wxHaskell version, the
enclosing tab is glued to the window border left and right, while there
is a considerable margin in the native version. The inner boxes have
spacious margins, too.

The second is the capitalization in the native version. That gives it a
totally different look! I even thought that they were using different
fonts at first.

Thirdly, the textlogs have different fonts. Again, the wxHaskell one
looks non-standard.

Overall, I think it's quite visible that the wxHaskell version is not
native. What I don't understand is why, though; after all, most of the
above is specified in Apple's Human Interface Guidelines, it's just a
matter of implementing them.

Regards,
apfelmus

--