[Haskell-beginners] timer_create: Invalid argument

Thomas Friedrich info at suud.de
Mon Jun 8 10:35:22 EDT 2009

Hi,

I need to check if a couple of files have the same number of lines in
them.  So, I written a little Haskell program that counts the number of
lines in a file.

import System.Environment (getArgs)

main :: IO ()
main = do
  [f] <- getArgs
  cs <- readFile f
  print $ length (lines cs)

Now, when I invoke the program on my computer, it does what it should do:

~ $ ./count count.hs
7

However, when I run the program on a different computer, I get the
following:

~ $ scp count count.hs thomas\@...:~
thomas at ...'s password:
count                100%  492KB 492.2KB/s   00:00
count.hs             100%  125     0.1KB/s   00:00
~ $ ssh thomas at ...
[thomas at ... ~] $ ./count count.hs
count: timer_create: Invalid argument
[thomas at ... ~]$

What does this error message mean?  And why does it occur?  Other
programs that I written and compiled on my computer worked just fine on
the other.  I run Arch Linux and I am using GHC 6.10.3, the other
computer is a RedHat 3.

Cheers,
Thomas