[Haskell-beginners] First request for references

Thomas Davie tom.davie at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 15:47:37 EST 2009

On 10 Jan 2009, at 21:36, Alan Cameron wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I stumbled across Haskell while researching 'functional programming'.
> I have done some initial reading and have the following questions:
>
> 1. Are there any references to real-world applications using this
> language?
>
> I ask because most of the articles I have found seem to be of an
> extreme
> academic nature. I want to be sure that my time will not be wasted
> delving
> deeper.

Here's a few real world apps written in Haskell:
darcs
Frag
XMonad
pugs (perl 6 interpretter)
ghc
and many more

If you want to learn about writing real world programs, try the new
book – Real World Haskell.

> 2. Are there any tutorials with full code included which I can use
> on the
> HUGS system I have installed?
>
> I have found a few "A Gentle Introduction to Haskell 98" which
> assumes far
> too much previous knowledge to be immediately useful to me.

The learning haskell page on the wiki has a *lot* of references to
lots of different tutorials and books.

Bob