[Haskell-begin] Morphing Endo (ICFP Contest 2007)

Tillmann Rendel rendel at daimi.au.dk
Thu Jul 24 07:11:25 EDT 2008

Benjamin L.Russell wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but because the prefix should not be too
> long, and chemical process of modifying Endo with the prefix should
> not consume too much energy, this appears to be an example of
> constraint programming.  Since constraint programming can often be
> carried out by constraint logic programming, I might suggest a logic
> programming approach for this problem.

Note that you have to execute the modified Endo to find out how many
points a prefix will be awarded, which takes several seconds to several
hours depending on your implementation. Since DNA is Turing complete,
you cannot hope to evaluate a modified Endo without executing it.

I therefore suggest to implement a DNA interpreter to produce RNA from
DNA, and a RNA interpreter which produces pictures from RNA, and then to
look at these pictures for clues how to proceed.

  Tillmann