[arch-haskell] ghc-vis

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Oct 15 22:04:48 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 02:14:29PM -0600, stef204 wrote:

> 15.10.2015, 04:26, "Magnus Therning" <magnus at therning.org>:
> Magnus,
>
> Comment: while I haven't yet had success with it in installing the
> packages targeted (hopefully this will happen after this post),
> cblrepo looks like great work.
>
> Back to issue at hand, inline below.
>
> > 1. clone <https://github.com/archhaskell/habs/>
> > 2. install `cblrepo` from [haskell-core]
> > 3. run `cblrepo sync`
> > 4. move into the `habs` repo and run `cblrepo add <pkg,ver> ...` to add
> >    packages (one or many at once)
> > 5. run `cblrepo pkgbuild <pkgs>` to generate source packages for the
> >    packages you added
> > 6. build all packages, in order (you can use `cblrepo build` to generate
> >    a good build order)
> > 7. install your new packages
>
> In addition to Barry's earlier comments re. ghc-vis and graphviz, the
> fact that ghc-vis seems to require ghc 7.8.3 and the following, I had
> to switch to a different package than ghc-vis since I am getting the
> following while trying to add ghc-vis' dependencies:
> % cat error.log
> Failed to satisfy the following dependencies for base:
>   ghc-prim >=0.3.1 && <0.4
>   integer-simple >=0.1.1 && <0.2
> Adding base 4.7.0.2 would break:
>   QuickCheck : base >=4.8 && <5
>   cblrepo : base ==4.8.*
>   xmonad-contrib : base >=4.8 && <5
>
> I don't know how to deal with using a different base, I guess sandbox
> might be the right way, not sure.

Yes, the fact that it requires 7.8 is a deal-breaker for building on top
of `[haskell-core]`, unfortunately.

> So, at least for now, I switched to vacuum-opengl as an alternative to ghc-vis:
>
> For vacuum-opengl, done steps 1 through 5 above, stuck on step 6.
>
> Here is the PKGBUILD generated:
> <https://gist.github.com/stef204/5220e94b58a5204e3265#file-pkgbuild>
>
> Question 1) When I added the dependencies to cblrebo.db, I used the
> *exact* version as specified for the package on hackage, so I used:
> cblrepo add package_name,exact version -> all the digits, so versions
> generated for PKGBUILD look a bit weird (to me) like
> "haskell-glut=2.7.0.2_0-4. Is this correct? (The "release" is just
> called "04"?)
>
> Question 2) dependencies
>
> depends=("ghc=7.10.2-1"
> "haskell-glut=2.7.0.2_0-4"
> "haskell-opengl=2.13.0.0_0-4"
> "haskell-bitmap=0.0.2_0-1"
> "haskell-bitmap-opengl=0.0.1.5_0-1"
> "haskell-network=2.6.2.1_0-3"
> "haskell-stb-image=0.2.1_0-1"
> "haskell-vacuum=2.2.0.0_0-1")
>
> So, besides ghc-7.10.2-1, already installed obviously, haskell-glut
> and haskell-opengl both of which I found in the haskell-core repo, it
> seems I need to go through the same 1-7 steps for each missing
> individual packages haskell-{bitmap, bitmap-opengl, network,
> stb-image, vacuum} one at a time, correct?

First, I thought I'd pushed up a version of `cblrepo` that generated
files with a dependency on "7.10.2-2" (the one from `[haskell-core]`),
but apparently I didn't get around to it yet.  Until I do please use
`--ghc-release 2` to generate the proper dependency on ghc.

You only need to go through the steps above for the packages you need to
add.

> > I'd start with `stack unpack ghc-vis`, then `stack init --resolver
> > ghc-7.8` and see where that leads.
>
> here, I get a failure error message on stack build after having run stack setup.
>
> ghc.mk:901: recipe for target 'install_packages' failed
> make[1]: *** [install_packages] Error 127
> Makefile:24: recipe for target 'install' failed
> make: *** [install] Error 2

I just did that exercise now and it seems to have worked fine.  These
are the steps I took

    % stack unpack ghc-vis
    % cd ghc-vis-0.7.2.7
    % stack init --resolver ghc-7.8
    % echo 'system-ghc: false' >> stack.yaml
    % stack solver --modify-stack-yaml
    % sudo pacman -S ghtk2hs-buildtools
    % stack --install-ghc build

(Yes, it seems to be all right to use the gtk2hs-buildtools from
`[haskell-core]`.)

My guess though is that ghc-vis won't actually be usable in anything but
ghci from ghc-7.8.4, which I suppose means it's of rather limited value.

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick
to anger.
     -- J.R.R Tolkien