[arch-haskell] ghc-vis

stef204 stef204 at yandex.com
Thu Oct 15 20:14:29 UTC 2015

15.10.2015, 04:26, "Magnus Therning" <magnus at therning.org>:
Magnus,

Comment: while I haven't yet had success with it in installing the packages targeted (hopefully this will happen after this post), cblrepo looks like great work.

Back to issue at hand, inline below.

> 1. clone <https://github.com/archhaskell/habs/>
> 2. install `cblrepo` from [haskell-core]
> 3. run `cblrepo sync`
> 4. move into the `habs` repo and run `cblrepo add <pkg,ver> ...` to add
>    packages (one or many at once)
> 5. run `cblrepo pkgbuild <pkgs>` to generate source packages for the
>    packages you added
> 6. build all packages, in order (you can use `cblrepo build` to generate
>    a good build order)
> 7. install your new packages

In addition to Barry's earlier comments re. ghc-vis and graphviz, the fact that ghc-vis seems to require ghc 7.8.3 and the following, I had to switch to a different package than ghc-vis since I am getting the following while trying to add ghc-vis' dependencies:
% cat error.log
Failed to satisfy the following dependencies for base:
  ghc-prim >=0.3.1 && <0.4
  integer-simple >=0.1.1 && <0.2
Adding base 4.7.0.2 would break:
  QuickCheck : base >=4.8 && <5
  cblrepo : base ==4.8.*
  xmonad-contrib : base >=4.8 && <5

I don't know how to deal with using a different base, I guess sandbox might be the right way, not sure.

So, at least for now, I switched to vacuum-opengl as an alternative to ghc-vis:

For vacuum-opengl, done steps 1 through 5 above, stuck on step 6.

Here is the PKGBUILD generated:
<https://gist.github.com/stef204/5220e94b58a5204e3265#file-pkgbuild>

Question 1) When I added the dependencies to cblrebo.db, I used the *exact* version as specified for the package on hackage, so I used: cblrepo add package_name,exact version -> all the digits, so versions generated for PKGBUILD look a bit weird (to me) like "haskell-glut=2.7.0.2_0-4.  Is this correct?  (The "release" is just called "04"?)

Question 2) dependencies

depends=("ghc=7.10.2-1"
"haskell-glut=2.7.0.2_0-4"
"haskell-opengl=2.13.0.0_0-4"
"haskell-bitmap=0.0.2_0-1"
"haskell-bitmap-opengl=0.0.1.5_0-1"
"haskell-network=2.6.2.1_0-3"
"haskell-stb-image=0.2.1_0-1"
"haskell-vacuum=2.2.0.0_0-1")

So, besides ghc-7.10.2-1, already installed obviously, haskell-glut and haskell-opengl both of which I found in the haskell-core repo, it seems I need to go through the same 1-7 steps for each missing individual packages haskell-{bitmap, bitmap-opengl, network, stb-image, vacuum} one at a time, correct?

> I'd start with `stack unpack ghc-vis`, then `stack init --resolver
> ghc-7.8` and see where that leads.

here, I get a failure error message on stack build after having run stack setup.

ghc.mk:901: recipe for target 'install_packages' failed
make[1]: *** [install_packages] Error 127
Makefile:24: recipe for target 'install' failed
make: *** [install] Error 2