[arch-haskell] Snap web framework - not in ArchHaskell?

Magnus Therning magnus
Wed Oct 9 19:26:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 10:29:08AM +0200, Dawid Loubser wrote:
> Thanks for tha, B?r?ur!
> It's a bit of a pity that I would have to duplicate many libraries
> aready installed via arch-haskell / pacman with cabal natively (and
> I agree, needs to be fully-isolated - I'll look into hsenv,
> thanks!).
> I'm curious - I thought the goal of arch-haskell was to ultimately
> contain all hackage packages. Snap is in hackage - what makes it
> difficult to get into arch-haskell?

The issue is one of resources.  Every package that's added adds to the
work of keeping [haskell-core] up-to-date.  Especially packages that
have *lots* of dependencies can be a bit problematic; they tend to
hold back the updating of their dependencies, especially if the
upstream developers aren't as interested as we are in tracking the
latest and greatest on Hackage.

> I am not trying to complain - just trying to establish the
> situation. I am very new to the haskell world, but passionate about
> it beyond belief.  I am happy to help where I can.

As was mentioned in another branch on this thread, please do
contribute by packaging stuff and if you have any problems or
suggestions for improvements please post on this list.

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the
government fears the people, there is liberty.
     -- Thomas Jefferson