[arch-haskell] Current procedure to install Hakyll (with deps)

gdweber at iue.edu gdweber at iue.edu
Sat Oct 12 07:40:16 UTC 2013

On 2012-Jun-12, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> On 12 June 2012 11:53, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:
> > [...]
> >> So, here comes my question:
> >> Considering I'm interested in Hakyll, could anyone recommend where
> >> should I grab all the related packages and required dependencies from?
> >
> > Don't use AUR!
>
> OK, I won't.
>
> > Check to see how many of the dependencies are in [haskell], if all are
> > there: profit!
>
> I will try this option tonight.
>
> > If only a few are missing you can always raise a bug to
> > get them added (I look favourable upon existence of patches +
> > pre-built packages).
>
> I'm usually happy to contribute too, though in case of Haskell I'm
> green as Irish grass.

I, too find, the Hakyll package interesting.

I am interested in contributing a hakyll packages and its missing
dependencies, provided I can get some feedback on my previous
attempted contribution (of OpenGL).

A few questions and comments:

1.  Installing the latest version of Hakyll, 3.3.0.1,
would require upgrading blaze-html
and reinstalling (probably breaking, warns cabal install --dry-run)
pandoc.  It seems best to aim at hakyll 3.2.7.2, which is
the latest version that can use blaze-html 0.4.* (we are at 0.4.3.3-5).

2.  Hakyll has a "previewServer" flag, which, if True (the default),
also depends on snap-core and snap-server.  Making a hakyll package
with the previewServer would require 21 new packages, including hakyll
itself.  Without the previewServer, it would require only 5 new packages.
So I think I would plan *at first* to provide the package *without* the
previewServer.

3.  Assuming cblrepo does not automatically set the previewServer
flag to False, I think the best way to do this would be a patch
for the PKGBUILD?

4.  One of the dependencies is hamlet, which requires another flag
setting, blaze_html_0_5 to be False, in order to use blaze-html < 0.5.
Again, a PKGBUILD patch?

5.  Mateusz, do you have any advice from your experience building
this with Cabal?

6.  Will anyone besides myself find this useful?