[arch-haskell] Re: What to do now?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Oct 12 07:36:46 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 08:42, Nicolas Pouillard
<nicolas.pouillard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 21:28:05 +0100, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
>> On 08/10/10 22:14, Magnus Therning wrote:
>> > Now that Don has decided to focus his Herculean powers in other directions I
>> > wonder what people feel should be the plan for the future.
>> >
>> > Do we try to fix up Don's tools and scripts so that they are more
>> > conducive to
>> > team work?
>> >
>> > Do we give up on having all of Hackage in AUR and instead rely on tools like
>> > bauerbill?
>> >
>> > Do we try to do something like what Xyne suggested--set up a Haskell ABS and
>> > publish pre-compiled packages in [arch-haskell]?
>>
>> Here's what I'd suggest based on the last few days' discussion:
>>
>> • Create an ABS-like tree for all hackage packages.
>> • Populate it with the current versions of packages as found on AUR.
>> • Keep the tree on github.
>>
>> This will allow us to, in the short term:
>>
>> • Distribute the work of keeping up with Hackage.
>> • Still upload packages to AUR.
>>
>> In the longer term I'd like to evolve the tools to work with this setup.
>>  At some point I'd love to see this:
>>
>> • Some advanced packages builders are able to work straight against the
>> ABS-tree on github, e.g. bauerbill.
>> • cabal2arch modified to work against a local version of the ABS-tree.
>> • A tool capable of determining the reverse dependencies of packages
>> kept in the ABS-tree (so that all packages depending on the updated one
>> can be rebuilt).
>> • An (official) repository for binary Haskell packages, maintained by a
>> team of people.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> That's a great plan, I hope that we are not far from a binary repo, I would
> be a big step forward. In some way, once cabal2arch has done its job and
> that we have this ABS tree, tools should be the same than for others
> repository?

Thanks.  I'll push ahead with it, despite the relative lack of
there'll be more comments later on.  In any case, nothing I'm doing is
irreversible :-)

Yes, I think once we have an ABS tree the same old established tools
can be used in that tree as in other ABS trees.  I still see a use for
cabal2arch though when it comes to keeping up with hackage, but it has
to be changed and improved a little bit to make it fit better.

Magnus Therning                        (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus@therning.org          Jabber: magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus         identi.ca|twitter: magthe