[arch-haskell] What to do now?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Oct 12 07:36:42 UTC 2013

On 09/10/10 22:27, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 22:13:50 +0100, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
[...]
>> Just to get some numbers I downloaded the cabal files for for the latest
>> version of all packages on Hackage.  Then I ran cabal2arch on it all.  After
>> that I attempted to put the results in darcs and git.
>>
>> Adding all files, 100 at a time:
>>
>>   * darcs: 522.18s user 5.49s system 99% cpu 8:48.96 total
>>   * git: 1.90s user 0.77s system 97% cpu 2.726 total
>>
>> Record/commit of initial changeset:
>>
>>   * darcs: NA, it seems frozen with: 5548 done, 5480 queued
>>   * git: 0.33s user 0.32s system 57% cpu 1.128 total
>
> I would suggest to use git for this kind of larges repos, however darcs will
> be a lot happier with smaller patches (even one per new file), making tags
> from time to time helps as well since it trunks the inventory and makes some
> operations cheaper.

I would *really* like to use darcs, but that's more due to "ideology" than
anything else :-)

From the numbers I would agree with the conclusion that git is more suitable
for a repo of this size.  I find your last comment interesting, since it
could
mean that darcs would be suitable if we don't attempt to "abs-ify" all of
hackage at once.

magnus@therning.org           Jabber: magnus@therning.org