[arch-haskell] Dynamic executables and RPATH

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Nov 11 05:21:51 UTC 2013

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 10:32:25PM +0100, Fabien Dubosson wrote:
> > Would you verify that passing --ghc-options when configuring a package
> > adds the options to 'ghc-options:' if present in the .cabal file?
>
> With pleasure. I made a «dummy» program to verify that (files here
> [1]):
>
>   1. A dummy `Main.hs` executable which uses an external library and
>      also generates GHC warnings.
>   2. A simple `test-ghc-opts.cabal` file which has a `ghc-options:`
>      to display warnings
>   3. A `build.sh` script which configures the program with a
>      `ghc-options` to remove the [rpath] of dynamic linking.
>
> If both the warnings are displayed and the [rpath] doesn't exist, it
> means that both ways of giving `ghc-options` are working side by
> side. It is the case on my computer! But I let you verify my scripts
> to be sure that I'm doing the test correctly.
>
> [1] https://gist.github.com/StreakyCobra/0067d15fd74ebf8bf5e0

Excellent, then that is indeed a better route than the one I embarked
on.

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

But whereas I previously held for Java a cordial dislike borne of having only
a cursory notion of how it worked, now my dislike for the language can no
longer be called at all "cordial", for familiarity has bred contempt.
     -- tom Christiansen