[arch-haskell] [haskell-web] & ghc 7.6.3

Nicolas Pouillard np at nicolaspouillard.fr
Wed May 29 13:15:50 CEST 2013

Quoting Ramana Kumar (2013-05-29 09:45:19)
> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 8:15 AM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org>wrote:
>
> > Please let me know if you /do/ retire [habs-web] as there might be a
> > number of commonly used packages in there that ought to be moved into
> > [haskell-core].  I'm guessing you don't have any kind of usage
> > statistics on the packages, do you? ;)
> >

> I think it's best to consider habs-web retired as of now, since it
> currently has no maintainer.
> However, as far as moving packages goes, it would probably be fine to wait
> until someone explicitly asks for something that was in web to be made
> available in core.

I am/was also a user of habs-web for roughly two use-cases:
  * haskell programs such as git-annex or notmuch-web [0] that I want
    to build once and install multiple times.
  * my strategy to reduce compilation time was to install all binary
    haskell packages available and then use cabal install for the
    rest.

I wolud like to also suggest that as long as storage permits we should
keep the latest version of a working set of packages for each version
of GHC. This does not cost much to just keep a copy before trying an
upgrade and this would help users migrating.

[0]: https://bitbucket.org/wuzzeb/notmuch-web/