[arch-haskell] Broken dependencies for happstack, how can I help again?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Oct 20 07:59:18 CEST 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 07:30:36PM +0200, Fabio Riga wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> some time ago I helped adding some package in the repo, and was just
> starting to understand how to do this when Peter dropped maintaining
> the repo in favour of Magnus. Magnus introduced this new method with
> cblrepo, that (it seems to me) automate the updating process, so the
> group didn't need my work for updating "manually" the packages.
>
> Unfortunately today pacman rejected to update my system because
> happstack-server now need an old version of a package already
> present.
>   haskell-happstack-server: require haskell-hslogger=1.1.0 (in community
> there's 1.1.5)
>
> Why the requiring a fixed version, when the cabal file  doesn't? Is
> there a way to solve the problem without modifying manually the
> PKGBUILD? If I do modify the PKGBUILD manually how can I make this
> available to the repo?

It's safer to require a specific version since GHC underneath will
code in a dependency on a hash of the version of hslogger used. The
end result without strict dependencies would be that pacman allows
an upgrade that GHC would reject at runtime, i.e. you end up with a
broken system.

> I also would like to help adding some more package, but I still
> don't know how to do this with cblrepo.

After installing cblrepo you would do the following to upgrade
hslogger:

0. Update info about all packages that are available on Hackage:

    % cblrepo idxsync

1. Upgrade the hslogger package:

    % cblrepo addbasepkg hslogger,1.1.5

2. Bump all packages that use hslogger:

    % cblrepo bump hslogger

3. Create PKGBUILDs:

    % cblrepo pkgbuild $(cblrepo build hslogger)

4. Verify that all builds properly:

    % ./makeahpkg -x -l <dir-for-chroot> -- $(cblrepo build hslogger)

5. If the build succeeds then post the diff either to this list or
   directly to me.

If you want to add packages you use `cblrepo add`. Help is built in,
but if you get stuck feel free to send emails to this list or directly
to me.

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
being a real problem in the longer term.
     -- Alan Kay