[arch-haskell] Haskell's state in Arch & near future

Linus Arver linusarver at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 23:16:44 CET 2011

On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 08:22:54PM +0100, Peter Hercek wrote:
> Dropping all haskell packages from aur is a good idea. Maybe we
> should leave there only one "dummy" package which would point
> haskell newbies to a description how to get additional haskell
> packages which a archlinux user would expect to be in aur.

I also agree about dropping haskell packages from AUR. From my personal
experience, 90% of haskell packages on AUR are broken because of
outdated dependencies. Whoever is maintaining the "arch-haskell" account
(some mystery person?) has been unable to keep up with the pace of
"outdated" notifications, anyway --- probably due to the sheer
volume/tediousness of the work. Besides, the cabal2arch utility already
does exactly what the AUR packages do.

You could certainly have a "dummy" package for newbies, and I think a
big, bolded message in the Arch Wiki could go along with that nicely.

-Linus