[arch-haskell] Haskell's state in Arch & near future

Vesa Kaihlavirta vpkaihla at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 13:44:16 CET 2011

I'm writing to inform you about some action I'm planning to
takeregarding our Haskell packages.

The current status is this: we have in extra repo the
"HaskellPlatform" package which depends on 24 haskell libraries plus
ghc,cabal-install, alex and happy. Maintaining all these is
relativelycumbersome (although it could be made a bit nicer by some
cleverscripting) and in my opinion goes a bit against the simplicity
clauseof our beloved distro.
A bit worse is that our dependance on the haskell-platform means
thatwe cannot upgrade ghc as soon as we could. The current
platformdepends on ghc-7.0.3, and the platform's website informs
helpfully:"Next release: July 2011". People have been wishing for
ghc-7.2.1(released on 9 August 2011) for quite some time.

The actions I'm about to do are following:
    - remove haskell-platform and all its libs from extra     - only
keep ghc in extra    - alex, happy and cabal-install and the libs they
need       (5-10) go to community

Since a ghc upgrade usually calls for a rebuild of every library
thathas been built on it, this and any future ghc rebuild will have
aminimum of 2 week bug-free staging period to allow all
packagemaintainers at least some time to rebuild everything that's

Haskell binary repo===================
I've heard that there's a separate package repo for many
haskellpackages. That seems like a good idea, especially if it's easy
tolaunch a rebuild of everything, and if it works well enough. I'd
liketo hear about that, if anyone maintaining it happens to be

My humble opinion is that we do not need to support any of thehaskell-
packages in AUR in any significant way, as cabal-install doesa far
better job there than our silly wrapper around it. If people wantto
maintain them, fine.