[arch-haskell] The latest upgrade...

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Feb 8 00:29:27 CET 2011

I've just made a rather large upgrade, all due to the latest release
of yesod[1].  There is a bit of a controversial issue with this
though, in that two of the packages aren't buildable by the PKGBUILD
that cabal2arch generates.  I'll be happy to explain why, if someone
is interested, but for now I've added some flags that makes it all
compilable again[2].  This is of course far from ideal; manual
modification of PKGBUILDs is something we *really* want to avoid!

I am planning on adding the ability to add flags to cabal2arch, which
would again make it possible to auto-generate the PKGBUILDs for those
two packages.  The downside is that we then need to document somewhere
what flags are necessary for that.  It's not too bad when it only
concerns 2 packages, but I see a risk that the number of packages
requiring flag-passing increases, and that doesn't scale very well.

What are your thoughts on this?

My opinion is that this route is the path of least resistance at the
moment.  Basically we'll need a rather major change to cabal2arch to
deal with this fully automatically.

/M

[1]
https://github.com/archhaskell/habs/commit/8dd59a66e9a39d9c66deb369e9075fa854fa5dca