[arch-haskell] Stepping down from Arch work

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Fri Oct 8 14:02:14 EDT 2010

dons:
> simons:
> > Hi Don,
> >
> >  > I'm one week backed up on AUR updates.
> >
> > according to <http://hackage.haskell.org/package/numeric-prelude>, the
> > last update of that package happened on Sep 22. Yet, AUR doesn't have
> > that update even though the package has been being marked out-of-date,
> > etc. So clearly your statement that you lag one week behind cannot be
> > true, can it?
>
> I'm about 1.5 weeks behind, due to ICFP travel. There are 299 packages in the
> queue, on top of the 8134 packages that I've updated over the past 2 years.
>

> >  > Hackage is averaging 15 packages a day uploaded now, but spikes up to
> >  > 30 packages a day. That's getting hard to stay on top of.
> >
> > You make it sound as if that were a recent development, but the fact of
> > the matter is that AUR has been lagging behind Hackage substantially for
> > the last 9 months or so. It's not "getting hard to stay on top of".
> > Rather, you haven't been able to stay on top of Hackage for the better
> > part of a year.
>
> Well, actually, AUR was up to date on Sep 21.
>
> Please help with tools and processes.

Actually, I think I'm done.  I will step down as AUR and Arch Linux
maintainer on Monday, to focus my efforts upstream, on Hackage itself.

I'm going to release the rest of tools I have in a darcs repo this
weekend, and try to document on the wiki any other processes that are
active.

Most of them you already know about (cabal2arch, the archlinux package,
and the support scripts). I'll leave it up to this team to work out if
they want to keep supporting:

    The cabal2arch tool
        http://code.haskell.org/~dons/code/cabal2arch/

    The archlinux support package
        http://code.haskell.org/~dons/code/archlinux/

    The IRC channel

    The mailing list

    The blog
        http://archhaskell.wordpress.com/

    The package status page
        http://code.haskell.org/arch/arch-haskell-status.html

    The twitter account
        http://twitter.com/archhaskell

    The RSS feed
        http://code.haskell.org/arch/aur.xml

    The Hackage reverse package map
        http://www.galois.com/~dons/cabalArchMap.txt

    The wiki
        http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Arch_Linux

It's been an interesting 2 years running this stuff, and this group has
led the Haskell community to demonstrate how well a distro can support
Haskell, particularly through the use of automated tools taking
advantage of the declarative nature of Cabal.

But it's time for me to focus my energies higher up the stack.

Those interested in picking up parts of the work, please let me know.

-- Don