[arch-haskell] Arch packages and/or Cabal-install ?

Leif Warner abimelech at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 14:48:29 EST 2009

I don't believe there's any problem with using both.
You can use the system package manager to install the compiler and add-on
manager, and then use that add-on manager to install all the add-ons for
that language you want.  That seems to be the setup for most distros.

I just use yaourt -S to install everything -- I like only having to know the
syntax for one tool, to deal with everything on the system.  I don't see
much of a reason for using cabal-install, as everything I can think of on
hackage is also installable by yaourt -S.  Also, using the system tool, it
tracks which files on your system are owned by which package, tracks when
new upgrades are available for your packages, and handles dependencies on
non-haskell packages.

There was just an Arch Haskell blog entry on this:
http://archhaskell.wordpress.com/2009/02/16/arch-haskell-news-feb-16-2009/

If cabal-install messes with a package previously installed with Arch tools,
I think the system tool would complain about the package files being messed
with if the system tools are doing a package remove.  I haven't seen an
"uninstall" function for cabal-install?

I think of yaourt mostly just as a wrapper for cabal, that provides a
consistent interface for all the dependencies on my system (just wish it
wrap all the latest ruby gems that way, too).  Oh, if for some reason yaourt
happens to not have the most recent version of something you want, you can
just edit the version number and tarball address in the PKGBUILD when it
asks you.

-Leif Warner