[xmonad] Issue 571 in xmonad: Other workspaces windows viewable on empty workspaces

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Sun May 18 20:44:10 UTC 2014

Owner: ----

New issue 571 by sl... at azavea.com: Other workspaces windows viewable on
empty workspaces

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Visit empty workspace, open a program, like a web browser.
2. Visit another empty workspace (mod+<1/2/3/etc.>)

I expect to see an empty workspace, with my background image. Instead, I
see the program I opened on the other workspace. I can't do anything to it,
it just appears to be there. This is a bit disorienting.

If I open a window on every workspace, this bug is not a problem.
Workspaces and window management work as expected.

Debian GNU/Linux, unstable branch. Installed through apt. I recently did a
large amount of package upgrades, and this bug was introduced. Oddly, I did
the same updates on another machine, running an almost identical stack with
xmonad, and the bug does not exist.

Here's the xmonad package info (on both machines):

steve at euwe:~$ apt-cache show xmonad
Package: xmonad
Source: xmonad (0.11-7)
Version: 0.11-7+b1
Installed-Size: 2666
Maintainer: Debian Haskell Group
<pkg-haskell-maintainers at lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Replaces: xmonad-rebuild
Provides: x-window-manager
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.14), libffi6 (>= 3.0.4), libgmp10, libx11-6, libxext6,
libxinerama1, libxrandr2 (>= 2:1.2.99.3), x11-utils
Recommends: libghc-xmonad-dev, libghc-xmonad-doc, xfonts-base
Suggests: dmenu
Conflicts: xmonad-rebuild
Description-en: Lightweight X11 window manager written in Haskell
  Xmonad is a minimalist tiling window manager for X, written in
  Haskell.  Windows are managed using automatic layout algorithms,
  which can be dynamically reconfigured. At any time windows are
  arranged so as to maximise the use of screen real estate. All
  features of the window manager are accessible purely from the
  keyboard: a mouse is entirely optional.  Xmonad is configured in
  Haskell, and custom layout algorithms may be implemented by the user
  in config files. A principle of Xmonad is predictability: the user
  should know in advance precisely the window arrangement that will
  result from any action.
  .
  This package comes pre-configured with the default configuration. If
  you want to build your custom-configured version, make sure that
  libghc-xmonad-dev is installed and put your configuration in
  ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs
Description-md5: a827bdbc621fa78a6624eb347265b935
Homepage: http://xmonad.org/
Tag: implemented-in::haskell, interface::x11, role::program,
uitoolkit::xlib,
  x11::window-manager
Section: x11
Filename: pool/main/x/xmonad/xmonad_0.11-7+b1_amd64.deb
Size: 430140
MD5sum: 46df4852f126117d3980856504ce5278
SHA1: 10203968a65d0a51ad989cda49c5225c4d5ef224
SHA256: 39073c319cc4eb1b8995dbabfe14b2ce2c268edab07275bb8f472c7faaffd314

Are you using an xmonad.hs?  Please attach it and the output of "xmonad
--recompile".

I am, but this bug exists when I don't use it. "xmonad --recompile"
produces no output.

My xmonad.hs can be seen here:
https://github.com/steventlamb/xmonad-config/blob/53340a37a6daf5f814f0fe79db0e4d1b8ed8272d/xmonad.hs

I'm mostly looking for some direction for how to go forward. Has anyone
seen this? Is there a term used to describe this bug/behavior? Something
like "Sticky windows".