[xmonad] xmonad{,-contrib} on github

Pablo Olmos de Aguilera C. pablo at glatelier.org
Tue Aug 28 02:19:43 CEST 2012

On 27 August 2012 15:54, Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jochen, I understand (someone does the Githubber's Witnesses thing every
>> couple months or so in the various projects I work with) that git users are
>> generally offended that anyone still uses something other than git, but
>> truly not everyone wants to or needs to switch.  At some point you may
>> actually have to accept that other version control systems exist instead of
>> evangelizing that everyone must switch to your One True System.
>
> Seconded. While it's good to bring up alternatives, I don't like
> evangelizing things at all. Use what works for you. It's good
> to have a choice. Monoculture is a problem and making github
> even more central and prominent than it already is is not a
> good thing for us all. If anything we need to get darcsden and
> friends enhanced. Having all three dvcs'es used will put
> more pressure on content transportability between them
> and help in the long run. I think all three are nurturing
> each other.

My 5 cents :)

I don't think (or didn't seem to me) that anyone is evangelizing.
Someone is proposing to move (or complement) with Git and that
initiated a (civilized) discussion about why or why not.

My personal opinion is that yes: github helps a lot to start using
dvcs (I learnt git and hg after github), projects get a lot of
visibility and it's "fashion" (moda, mode) right now. On the bad side
I agree with you: github is centralizing things a lot. Sometimes I
don't even realize that I found myself trusting more in projects that
have github vs ones that don't, mainly (imho) because it easier to
fork projects, thus keeping them alive.

I have started to use xmonad about a couple of months ago. I realized
that XMonad (and haskell in general) it's a complex language and not
for everyone. I also understand that because of that it feels more
like for people that WANTS to mess around a bit, and if want to help
it's also people that can learn to use darcs (at least the basic) to
contribute (I've been learning because I wanted to do some
"improvements" to the xfce contrib module; I'll write an email about
that later).

I'd propose a "mix" between them... Why don't create an official
github mirrror managed by someone responsible? We can also add that in
that readme that XMonad currently only accepts patches through
darcs/darcsden and maybe some little explanation on how you do it.
That way we can gain github visibility without suffering the bad parts
and letting our developers continue working with their preferred dvcs
:)

(Sorry for my english, I'm from Chile :))

Saludos!
--
Pablo Olmos de Aguilera Corradini - @PaBLoX
http://www.glatelier.org/