[xmonad] tabbed, floating & focus

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Sun May 31 09:46:40 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 10:32:48PM -0400, Adam Vogt wrote:
> * On Saturday, May 30 2009, Konstantin Sobolev wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> [...]
> >In the other words you can't switch tabs after you've added a floating
> >window: as soon as floating gets focus again, tabbed restores it's
> >state as it was before the floating window was added.
> >It's quite annoying and I'd like to fix it, but X.L.Decoration logic
> >is too complicated to me. Or maybe I should look at some other place?
>
> This affects all layouts as far as I can tell. I suspect it has something
> to do with this defect:
> http://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=4

Yeah, the problem, if I recall correctly, is that floating and
non-floating windows are stored in the same zipper, so there is no way
to remember which non-floating window was last focused.  The floating
and tiled layers really ought to be separated out more cleanly, but it
will take a lot of work and no one's sat down to do it yet.  This is
one possible thing I am thinking of working on at Hac phi.

-Brent