[xmonad] Layout for GIMP. How to?

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Sun May 31 07:47:51 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 02:13:11PM +0400, Khudyakov Alexey wrote:
> First I've tried Nathan's layout based on nested IMs [1]. However it didn't
> worked well.
> 1. There is only one window in side panels (Layers etc). If I open two dock
> windows one of
> them goes into main working area.
> 2. If I open two image windows and move mouse cursor to toolbox one of windows
> always gets in front. Observed only with Full layout.
I think this has something to do with the way focus is dealt with.

> How should it work in my opinion. Screen is separated in three vertical areas.
> Left is for tools. Center is working area. Right for docks. Right and central
> area has own layouts. Center must have way to change layouts.

I use the IM layout applied twice to get the left and right columns.
This does the right thing as far as being able to change the centre
layout.

myGimpChoices = ... (whatever layouts I want for the Centre part)
myGimpIM = (reflectHoriz $ withIM (18%100) (ClassName "Gimp") $
  reflectHoriz $ withIM (18%100) (ClassName "Gimp") $ myGimpChoices)

I also make Gimp not float by default (by not using the default manage
hook) and then make dialogue windows float, because IMHO it's better
that way.

, (className =? "Gimp" <&&> fmap ("color-selector" `DL.isSuffixOf`) role) --> doFloat
, (className =? "Gimp" <&&> fmap ("layer-new" `DL.isSuffixOf`) role) --> doFloat
, (className =? "Gimp" <&&> fmap ("-dialog" `DL.isSuffixOf`) role) --> doFloat
, (className =? "Gimp" <&&> fmap ("-tool" `DL.isSuffixOf`) role) --> doFloat

Kathryn Andersen