[reactive] Re: Link to Tetris

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Tue Dec 16 05:36:46 EST 2008

>>> http://code.haskell.org/~wchogg/Tetris.hs
>> But when I try to run it, it exits immediately, without any message
>> or window, let alone any animations..
>
> That seems to be an issue when starting from within cygwin's bash.
> Starting from cmd, or by double-clicking, works. Since I don't
> have this issue with other OpenGL code, it must be built into
> reactive somewhere?
>
> The result appears very sluggish: when I do nothing, the ticks
> don't seem to come evenly, and when I try to move pieces,
> keyboard input and movement are out of sync by the second
> piece, with reactions happening very late (perhaps for the next
> piece instead of the current one), or seemingly not at all. I
> assume that is not an expected feature?-)

Seems to be partially timer- and partially event-merge-related:
if I compile with -threaded, the pieces do not move at all on their
own, but as long as I keep pressing "down", the game appears
playable as intended; if I compile without -threaded, the pieces
move occasionally, but the effects of keyboard input are entirely
unpredictable.

Any advice?
Claus