Civility notes (was "Traversable instances for (,,) a b")

Tom Murphy amindfv at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 15:49:54 UTC 2017

To address your point about:

"My subjective estimation is that discussing this a bit further is more
   constructive than working on a CoC. What parts of the discussion were
   unfortunate, exactly, and why?"

The problem with just discussing it further here is that:
  a) Nothing specific needs to get explicitly agreed upon, so we can all
leave with our own interpretations and conclusions of what was decided
  b) We're 20-something emails into an email chain. All of us discussing
will have developed more nuanced views, but for example a new person coming
to the community will have no idea about what was discussed here.

A CoC, on the other hand, is a big neon sign at the front door of the
community, summarizing the basic bullet points of what we can agree we want
our community to be.

(By the way, I agreed with much of what you talked about but I think your
points could have been made without calling anyone else out by name. Just
my 2c.)

Tom