Civility notes (was "Traversable instances for (,,) a b")

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Thu Apr 6 13:16:12 UTC 2017

On 03.04.2017 10:42, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2017, Simon Peyton Jones via Libraries wrote:
>
>> I’ve been talking to a couple of people about whether it would be
>> useful to have an explicit Haskell Community Code of Conduct.  Many
>> online communities have one (e.g. Rust), and it might be helpful for
>> everyone to have a concrete baseline rather than an unwritten
>> standard.  Any views on that?
>
> I think these Code of Conducts make things even worse because then some
> people start to check every word against these codes. Instead I suggest
> we make more use of humor. E.g. Carter Schonwald's comment about grumpy
> people made me think about renaming my prelude-compat package to
> grumpy-prelude. :-)

I agree with Henning.  The discussion gets heated because people are
passionate about Haskell; and the latter is a good thing.

I rather stomach some insults on a mailing list than having a formal
code of conduct.  Severe violations of politeness can be pointed out
without having such a formal code.  We can apply common sense.

andreas.abel at gu.se
http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~abela/