Constraints on definition of `length` should be strengthened

Nathan Bouscal nbouscal at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 17:56:13 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de> wrote:

> Am 03.04.2017 um 22:48 schrieb Sven Panne:
> > Tuples *are* unbiased, the bias is just an artifact of seeing them as a
> > curried function, where the positions are "eaten" from left to right.
> > Again, this mathematically correct, but more often than not the main
> intent
> > of using a tuple-
>
> Exactly. Currying is nice and convenient but it has an inherent bias.
> This bias is based on the necessity to choose an order when writing
> things down in sequence and unavoidable as long as we write programs as
> linear text.

Just because we can curry something doesn't mean we have to give an
> independent (biased) interpretation to the curried entity.

As Vladislav showed earlier, the bias is not just the order that things are
written in. It is impossible (in Haskell as it exists) to make a Functor
instance for (,b). It's not about interpretation, it's part of how the
language works.