Constraints on definition of `length` should be strengthened

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Wed Apr 5 16:18:06 UTC 2017

Am 03.04.2017 um 22:48 schrieb Sven Panne:
> Tuples *are* unbiased, the bias is just an artifact of seeing them as a
> curried function, where the positions are "eaten" from left to right.
> Again, this mathematically correct, but more often than not the main intent
> of using a tuple-

Exactly. Currying is nice and convenient but it has an inherent bias.
This bias is based on the necessity to choose an order when writing
things down in sequence and unavoidable as long as we write programs as
linear text.

Just because we can curry something doesn't mean we have to give an
independent (biased) interpretation to the curried entity.

>> We can't just ignore that and pretend they're unbiased.
>
> We *can* ignore that, just use Henning's Decorated for an isomorphic
> variant.

And let's not forget Either which IMO should be regarded as an unbiased
choice. I don't have a proposal for the name, though.

Cheers
Ben