Civility notes (was "Traversable instances for (,,) a b")

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Apr 3 08:13:37 UTC 2017

Friends

I second what Tom says below.

Almost everyone expresses their views with respect, even when disagreeing.  The exceptions are (in my guess) mostly unintentional, at least in the extent of the offence caused.   That does not make them unimportant, because a slow slippage in our collective standards is, over time corrosive.  But it does mean that we can draw breath, as Tom has helpfully done here, and without condemning anyone reset our standards.

I’ve been talking to a couple of people about whether it would be useful to have an explicit Haskell Community Code of Conduct.  Many online communities have one (e.g. Rust<https://www.rust-lang.org/en-US/conduct.html>), and it might be helpful for everyone to have a concrete baseline rather than an unwritten standard.  Any views on that?

Simon