Numeric read seems too strict

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 18:14:20 UTC 2016

Read and show are supposed to be simple and perhaps at least have well
behaved asymptotic performance , but ultimately are for simple debugging
and or pasting back into source.  Granted it winds up also being used to
serialize small config that are human manipulable or easy to paste back
into source