3 release policy and -Wno-compat

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Nov 29 21:05:39 UTC 2015

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 29.11.2015, 01:37 -0700 schrieb Jeremy:
> The draft of the 3 release policy has a very strict requirement for warnings,
> "without causing warnings even when compiled with -Wall". This causes
> breaking changes to be spread out over a number of years because of
> deprecation warnings.
>
> I propose that "-Wall" in this sentence be replaced with "-Wall
> -Wno-compat". As we are addressing an audience who wish to suppress a
> specific category of warnings, it seems reasonable to ask that they make
> this explicit.

my impression was that "-Wall" would not imply "-Wno-compat", bringing
the policy in line with what you intend it to do. And I agree that this
is the sensible policy.

If that’s not the case, we should consider if it maybe should be the
case :-)

> (I would also prefer for -Wcompat to be on by default, but that would be
> another discussion, if and only if this proposal is accepted.)

Indeed a different, but worthwhile discussion. As always, I’m far from
having a fixed opinion, but want to note that a lot of code is _not_
library code, and compatibility with one GHC version at a time is all
that matters, and (momentarily) irrelevant warnings are annoying.
That’s a point in favor of _not_ having it on by default.

Greetings,
Joachim

Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  Jabber: nomeata at joachim-breitner.de  • GPG-Key: 0xF0FBF51F