3 release policy and -Wno-compat

Jeremy voldermort at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 29 08:37:19 UTC 2015

The draft of the 3 release policy has a very strict requirement for warnings,
"without causing warnings even when compiled with -Wall". This causes
breaking changes to be spread out over a number of years because of
deprecation warnings.

I propose that "-Wall" in this sentence be replaced with "-Wall
-Wno-compat". As we are addressing an audience who wish to suppress a
specific category of warnings, it seems reasonable to ask that they make
this explicit.

(I would also prefer for -Wcompat to be on by default, but that would be
another discussion, if and only if this proposal is accepted.)