qualified imports, PVP and so on (Was: add new Data.Bits.Bits(bitZero) method)

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Wed Feb 26 10:55:42 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Erik Hesselink <hesselink at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:36 AM, John Lato <jwlato at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Upper bounds lead to a better user experience.
> >
> > That's what I'm disagreeing with. I do not believe that, overall, the
> PVP is
> > giving users a better experience. I've had a huge downturn in reported
> > errors with Yesod since I stopped strictly following the PVP. It's
> > anecdotal, but everything in this thread is really anecdotal.
>
> But you also tell people to use stackage and yesod-platform, which
> fixes a lot of packages to a specific version, IIRC. That means that
> not having upper bounds is kind of moot.
>
> As a counter-anecdote, almost all build-related problems we've had in
> the past year have been (http-)conduit or tls related, due to the lack
> of upper bounds.
>
> Erik

That's a fair point, I left out X factors in this analysis. So I'll say
something else instead: back when I followed strict PVP compliance, I still
got a lot of reports of broken builds, and my maintenance overhead was very
high. Since I dropped PVP compliance and implemented alternative solutions,
the reports I've received have gone down dramatically, and I spend far less
time on maintenance.

So color me unconvinced that the PVP really made a big difference in users'
experiences.

Michael