[Mid-discussion Summary] Proposal: add new Data.Bits.Bits(bitZero) method

Henning Thielemann schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Feb 24 20:36:35 UTC 2014

Am 24.02.2014 21:24, schrieb Dan Doel:
> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Casey McCann <cam at uptoisomorphism.net
> <mailto:cam at uptoisomorphism.net>> wrote:
>
>     Because it is a thoroughly irrelevant option, empirically speaking, on
>     account of approximately nobody actually using Data.Bits that way.
>

> There's some reason for that, too. Bits has operators, which are
> especially ugly when qualified, and I suspect most people are even more
> annoyed by using two import statements to manage this than they are
> about using qualified imports in the first place.

For Data.Map we are used to write two import statements. It's not that
uncommon.

But I agree that qualification and infix operators don't work well
together. That said, I am also not happy with 'rotate' and 'shift' being
designed for infix use, since this way I cannot use (.) and ($) for
composition of bit manipulations.