[Mid-discussion Summary] Proposal: add new Data.Bits.Bits(bitZero) method

Dan Doel dan.doel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 20:24:08 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Casey McCann <cam at uptoisomorphism.net>wrote:

> Because it is a thoroughly irrelevant option, empirically speaking, on
> account of approximately nobody actually using Data.Bits that way.

There's some reason for that, too. Bits has operators, which are
especially ugly when qualified, and I suspect most people are even more
annoyed by using two import statements to manage this than they are about
using qualified imports in the first place.

In fact, most of the library has unique enough names that it needn't be
imported qualified, and qualifying would make code read worse (to me, and
I'm sure others; x `Bits.shiftR` n). So in this case, we'd be adding one
function that encourages qualification to a module that otherwise doesn't.

-- Dan