Does anyone want intersperse for Data.Sequence?

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 16:39:21 UTC 2014

I'm not sure what you mean. Appending sequences is already efficient.
intercalate is approximately O(sum $ fmap (log . length) xs), which is much
better than what you'd get from lists. The peculiar nice thing about
intersperse that you don't get from intercalate is that you can index or
split in O(log(min{i,n-i})) time immediately. So if you have a 2^40-element
sequence, xs, then (intersperse 5 xs) `index` (2^39) will take on the order
of 39 operations. There is no way to accomplish this with intercalate using
2-3 finger trees, and I don't know of any data structure that would support
such a thing (I doubt it's possible).