Cabal: literate hscolour

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 20 12:49:41 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 09:12 -0400, Sean McLaughlin wrote:
> Hello,
>

>   I can't find a way to pass the -lit flag to hscoulour using neither
> my cabal configuration file nor a command
> line option to runhaskell Setup.hs haddock.  I'd really like to not
> have my literate comments be colored according
> to Haskell lexical conventions.  Is there a way to do this?

So it's fine for us to call hscolour differently for .lhs vs .hs files.
The annoying thing here is that to "do the right thing" Cabal would need
to distinguish bird-track style literate files (hscolour -lit) from tex
style (hscolour -lit-tex). I don't think this is reasonable. The
hscolour program is the one doing the lexing so it is in a position to
work out which literate style it is using, or indeed if it's using a
mixture.

So I suggest you file a ticket against hscolour asking for -lit and
-lit-tex to be merged. It might be worth asking if hscolour should by
default just do the right thing, ie use -lit on .lhs input files. If not
then file a separate ticket for Cabal to use -lit on .lhs files.

In particular I'm not suggesting any configuration knob in Cabal for
this. We should just do the right thing.

Seem like a reasonable plan?

Duncan