documentation in GHC.Conc, Control.Parallel.Strategies; querying number of CPUs

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 04:19:18 EDT 2007

Frederik Eaton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am interested in implementing some multi-threaded algorithms in
> Haskell.
>
> I have run into some documentation dead-ends. The documentation in
> GHC.Conc is what I get when I search for "ghc pseq" on google, but it
> doesn't document pseq and some other functions:
>
> pseq
> par
> forkOnIO
> childHandler
> ensureIOManagerIsRunning
>
> In particular, I wonder: How is pseq different from seq?

See the current library docs:

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/current/docs/libraries/base/Control-Parallel.html

This is what will appear in GHC 6.8, except that Control.Parallel has now
moved into the parallel package (and the online docs don't seem to reflect
this, which is strange - Ian, any ideas?).

In GHC 6.6.x you need to get pseq from GHC.Conc.  We noticed this mistake
only after the 6.6 release.

> Also, the following functions in Control.Parallel.Strategies are not
> documented, at least in Haddock:

That module has better documentation now, follow the link above.

Cheers,
	Simon