documentation in GHC.Conc, Control.Parallel.Strategies; querying number of CPUs

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon Jul 16 22:53:34 EDT 2007

Malcolm.Wallace:
> Frederik Eaton <frederik at a5.repetae.net> wrote:
>
> > In particular, I wonder: How is pseq different from seq? Under what
> > circumstances is it used?
>
> `pseq` is a "genuine" operational sequence operator.  Haskell'98's
>     x `seq` y
> does not guarantee that x is evaluated to WHNF before y, whereas `pseq`
> does guarantee exactly this.

Good to see the documentation for parallel strategies is improved!

    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/current/docs/parallel/Control-Parallel-Strategies.html

what can we do to make it easier to get into concurrent and parallel
haskell programming? Its really one of the killer features, but is
under-documented and under-blogged-about.

Meanwhile the erlang guys use parMap in every blog I see, despite their
slow compiler and awful string support ;)

-- Don (pondering how to steal parallel programming mindshare)