Data.* collections maintenance

Georg Martius mai99dgf at studserv.uni-leipzig.de
Fri Oct 21 11:15:54 EDT 2005

Am Freitag, 21. Oktober 2005 16:41 schrieb Christian Maeder:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> I've always wanted to try out your AVL implementation, but never found
> the time to adapt your interface to that of Data.Set and Data.Map (or a
> sub-interface). If you have done so, that would only mean to replace
> import entries (and would allow to switch back if it doesn't work as
> expected).
>
> (It would also be handy if your modules could be passed to the same
> properties and performance checker if we had those.)

I heard that there have been such tests? Who has them and why not putting them
into the testsuite in the ghc source distro.

> A different performance profile is of course fine (and desirable if
> there is a big gain in certain or even most cases).
>
> So far, the problem always was to agree on an accepted interface (that I
> didn't want to be a class but leave to the discipline of library writers.)
>
> How about something like Data.Set.Tree.AVL (and Data.Set.Seq.Ordered)
> or Data.SetByAVLTree (and Data.SetByOrderedSeq)?

Why not having a class for Set and Map,... and then we can change the
implementation in the instances. Furthermore we could specify optimised
versions like IntMap as an instance.

Georg