[Hat] Documentation on trace file format?

malcolm at cs.york.ac.uk malcolm at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Sep 15 21:01:25 EDT 2006

> My biggest problem (at the moment) is that the trace file format is
> under-documented. I've written my new back-end by reverse-engineering
> existing back-ends, but that's too error-prone for comfort. Is there any
> unpublished documentation on the trace file format and its correct
> interpretation that might help me ensure I'm not missing anything crucial?

Indeed, there is a lot of unpublished documentation about Hat.  We had a
series of internal memos covering lots of design issues including the file
format.  Up until now, these have been private, but I can't think of a
good reason for them to remain that way, especially if other people are
developing on top of Hat and need to understand such issues.

So have a look at
    http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/fp/hat/Memos

Bearing in mind that many of the memos may now be superseded or out of
date, I hope that nevertheless you manage to find something useful here.
(There are two separate memos about the file format, one by me, another by
Olaf.)

Regards,
    Malcolm