[Hat] Documentation on trace file format?

John DeTreville John.DeTreville at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 15 19:55:02 EDT 2006

Hello,

I'm in the middle of a small research project that analyzes execution traces of large Haskell programs. I'm currently using Hat as an infrastructure for generating traces (same hat-trans, same libraries, same trace files, custom back-end).

I'd first like to thanks the Hat authors and maintainers for their fine work. I've tried or considered a few other ways to generate such traces, and Hat provides a great combination of broad language and library coverage with accurate traces and the ability to trace long executions. Thank you!

My biggest problem (at the moment) is that the trace file format is under-documented. I've written my new back-end by reverse-engineering existing back-ends, but that's too error-prone for comfort. Is there any unpublished documentation on the trace file format and its correct interpretation that might help me ensure I'm not missing anything crucial?

Cheers,
John