[Hat] Building hat

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Wed Mar 22 10:21:17 EST 2006

OTTOMH:

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:23:35PM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 11:14:28AM +0000, Malcolm Wallace <Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk> was heard to say:
> >
> > Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org> writes:
> >
> > > make[2]: *** No rule to make target `Foreign/ForeignPtr.hs', needed by `/home/daniel/debian-pkgs/NMU/hat/hat-2.04/debian/build-tools/targets/ix86-Linux/obj/hatlib/ghc6/Hat/Foreign/ForeignPtr.o'.  Stop.
> > >
> > >   ForeignPtr is in Hat/Foreign/, not Foreign/.  I dealt with this by
> > > copying the file into the correct directory, and I did the same with
> > > PreludeBasic.hx (which is in the root of the hatlib source directory
> > > but is expected to be in Hat/).
> >
> > But I am not sure why the original file
> >     Foreign/ForeignPtr.hs
> > was no longer in its original location.  It is certainly included in the
> > tarfile, and 'make clean' should not remove it.  Perhaps you just need
> > to start again with a freshly unpacked archive and the
> > 'script/confhc-hat' fix?
>
>   Ah, my bad; I had missed some lines in debian/rules:
>
>         rm -f src/hatlib/Foreign/ForeignPtr.hs
>         rm -f src/hatlib/Foreign/ForeignPtr.hx

I think this dates from a time when ghc and nhc98/hugs had different
libraries; you should get a different file copied/symlinked depending on
which compiler is being used.

>   I imagine this might explain my problem. :-)  And indeed, when I pull
> those lines out, the compilation completes and the build script dies
> trying to run a target called "install-noinc".

I think this is a target I added that either installs just the tools, or
one that installs just the libraries (as hat wasn't designed to support
multiple implementations with a single set of tools).

It sounds like you have some of the Debian packaging stuff but not all
of it? (perhaps just the debian/ directory?)

Thanks
Ian