[Hat] How to generate .hx files?

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Mon Aug 2 07:22:25 EDT 2004

"Tom Hofte" <hofte at natlab.research.philips.com> writes:

> My program uses the HaXml library. When I run hmake it fails to compile my
> program, due to this error:
>
> Fail: /home/hofte/local//include/hat/Text/XML/HaXml/Xml2Haskell.hx:
> openFile: does not exist (No such file or directory)
>
> It seems that hmake can't find the .hx files for the HaXml package, because
> the package is not a standard Haskell package. My question is now, how can I
> generate .hx file for the HaXml package?

I suggest you follow the instructions at
    http://www.haskell.org/fp/hat/libraries.html

that is,

   "If you wish to trace a program that uses some libraries, then
    at the moment you need to copy the source for that library into
    the same source tree as your program, and explicitly compile it
    for tracing along with the program. Obviously this requires that
    the library itself is implemented exclusively in the superset
    of Haskell'98 supported by Hat. If you trust that the library
    is correct and do not wish to trace its internal calls, then you
    can give the flag -trusted to hat-trans (for that library alone)."

I believe HaXml should compile fairly straightforwardly for tracing
with Hat, if you just take a copy of its sources into your own
program build-tree.

Regards,
    Malcolm