[Hat] hat 2.00 make failure

Byron Hale hat@haskell.org
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 09:50:11 -0700

At 02:22 PM 6/15/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Byron Hale <byron.hale@einfo.com> writes:
>
> > Making hat 2.0 resulted in a system crash.
> > Environment: Redhat Linux 7.2 i686 SMP GHC 5.02.3 hmake 3.05
> >
> > Unable to capture output.
> > A later try resulted in "segmentation fault."
>
>I understand that you couldn't capture the output of the first build,
>but can you supply a full log of the second build that resulted in
>a seg fault?

I tried redirecting output to a text file, but the results weren't very
useful. Following is what I was able to capture from that:

cd src/hat/lib;        make HC=ghc all install-ghc
make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/bhale/dl/programming/functional/haskell98/hat/v2.0/hat-2.00/src/hat/lib'
/home/bhale/dl/programming/functional/haskell98/hat/v2.0/hat-2.00/script/hat-trans
-trusted -prelude PreludeBasic.hs
Wrote TPreludeBasic.hs
ghc -package-name hat -package lang -fglasgow-exts
-fno-warn-overlapping-patterns -fno-warn-missing-methods -cpp -c -o
/home/bhale/dl/programming/functional/haskell98/hat/v2.0/hat-2.00/targets/ix86-Linux/obj/hatlib/ghc/TPreludeBasic.o
TPreludeBasic.hs

>[ To be honest, this sounds like a problem with your machine, not
>   with Hat, but it is difficult to be certain without more detailed
>   information from the logs.  Are you by any chance using a laptop
>   with ACPI support? ]

Hm... Compatibility is everything for me. I'd rather have software that
runs rather than something a little faster or bigger. It could always be
my machine, though. Also, I'm not a Linux/Unix guru, although I'm
getting better at hacking around in it and Redhat is improving from
version to version. The hardware is a mid-tower with IDE (HD &
DVD-ROM) a floppy. There's an extra IDE interface for an extra drive,
but it's not installed at the moment. So the hardware is pretty simple
and generic.

Should I look for a system log somewhere? How long should it take for
twin 686 (P3)'s to compile this when running at 850 MHz? No need to
answer these, but I am curious.

Best Regards,
Byron