[Haskell-community] Downloads page & Haskell for Mac

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 15:51:22 UTC 2015

Hiya Manuel.

So the plan was, and I guess still should be, that we were going to
have a second discussion on "other download methods" at the bottom of
the downloads page, and how to handle listing all sorts of various
other things. For example, Haskell for Mac, Kronos IHaskell Notebook,
Halcyon, Nix, the fact that one can run Haskell for free over Sage
Math Cloud. Also there is the question of if we should link to some
place that documents IDEs more too, since often people consider these
days IDEs the third critical component of a language along with the
way to compile things and the way to manage additional libraries.

Anyway, people got busy and we didn't kick off this "other download
methods" portion of the discussion in a very timely fashion, so thanks
for the push.

One question I have is about Haskell for Mac itself. Given appstore
restrictions, it sort of has a dual character. I suppose my question
is, ultimately, do you see it more as a "way to download haskell" or
an "amazing development environment for haskell" (that ultimately has
to provide a bundled compiler because of appstore issues).

In any case, I don't exactly share Nicolas' concerns about pointing to
commercial / non-open-source stuff, as long as we make sure we point
to the100% open-source-stuff  bigger and first :-)

I do share the concern that the page is sort of long and confusing
enough already. And as I mentioned above, Haskell for Mac is one of a
number of neat tools that are not discoverable from the downloads page
now.

I don't think /Implementations is quite the right wiki page, but maybe
we could point to two pages, one for /Install_Methods and one for
/Recommended_IDEs ? (with some things like IHaskell and Haskell for
Mac living in both)?

-gershom