[Haskell-cafe] Using stringize and string concatenation in ghc preprocessing

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 21:37:38 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>
wrote:

> I have no doubt that there are companies and/or lawyers like that. What
> I doubt is that this is the overwhelming majority, as you seemed to
> suggest ("...most corporate lawyers..."). All the evidence you and Sven
> provided is merely anecdotal.

Mrrr. I was trying to back that off a bit; the real issue is not that it's
"most", it's "enough to make ghc problematic". The last thread about cpphs
(quick search gets me
https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2015-May/009106.html from the
middle of it and containing a decent summary) indicated that a significant
number of high profile Haskell users would be forced to drop Haskell if
cpphs went into ghc, because they'd have to face the uphill battle of
getting corporate lawyers to okay it again.

"Just do it and fix the fallout afterward" is not a solution; once in,
those lawyers would think twice about reinstating ghc if it were
subsequently removed, because that's the safe stance legally speaking.