[Haskell-cafe] Standard package file format

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 20:59:18 UTC 2016

> [...]
>
>    1. Adopt common standard for different package tools.
>
> What are these tools? AFAICT we are talking about cabal and stack only,
and from the recent discussion it seems that stack has slightly different
goals: One stack.yaml can reference vaious cabal package descriptions,
something I've never use until now, because I wasn''t even aware that it is
possible. :-). So apart from the different surface syntax, there seems to
be more fundamental differences.

>    1. Give users and packager devs a choice of config file formats /
>    representations.
>
> Why is this even a goal? On the contrary, I see this as an anti-goal,
because it leads to useless creativity and fragmentation.

>    1. Explore ways to simplify manual package configuration.
>
> This is a worthwhile goal IMHO, but we need to be more concrete, e.g. how
can repetitive stuff like the tons of almost-copy-n-paste in
https://github.com/haskell-opengl/GLUT/blob/master/GLUT.cabal be avoided?
This has nothing to do with syntax, more with abstraction facilities and
semantics: If we just switch to JSON or YAML, GLUT.cabal would as
repetitive as before, only in a different surface syntax.